Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The selling of Silver Fox

In December 2010, I found on eBay a boat that looked really good for what we wanted. She was bigger, more capable of extended cruising, and Brigite loved the interior layout (& gimbled stove). It needed work, but as a result; the price was affordable for us.

We viewed her, did a test sail, got a survey and eventually bought the boat. She is a 1978 Cal 34.

I wanted to keep Silver Fox, as she is such an awesome boat, everything is in great condition on her, everything works, and she does not need any major work - unlike the Cal! Silver Fox was also easy to jump on for a quick sail, and easy to single and double-hand. Plus she was our first boat, and clearly, we had chemistry!

But we couldn't keep two boats, so Silver Fox had to be offered for sale. I was hoping to find an Owner who would love her as much as I did, and that would take as good care of her. I made a webpage to outline her features and put a post on the C&C Association website. I lowered the price below her value to try and attract a good new home.

Chris, Kelly & Brigite on the test sail.
Very soon I was contacted by Chris out of Toronto, Canada, who was very interested. Chris and Kelly came to Norfolk and we went out for a sail. They loved the boat, and we came to a deal. I am delighted to have Chris & Kelly as the new Owners, as they will be at least as good a custodian to Silver Fox as I was, and soon Silver Fox will go back to where she was built 36 years ago!

Chris takes over the helm...
Since the test sail and deal was made on Feb 24th, Silver Fox has remained at Cobbs, waiting for the docks to go in on Lake Ontario! We officially closed the sale on Wed March 23rd 2011, On 3/25/2011 Brian McCauley surveyed the boat, and she is scheduled to be transported to her new home on Monday April 3rd. It will be sad for me, but there is a silver lining, and I am excited about the new boat - which does not have a name yet...


Fare thee well Silver Fox. Thank you for all the wonderful memories, and everything you thought me in our adventure filled 18 months together. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. The function that the boat is going to utilized for is the primary deciding factor for the added equipment and accessories that you will need.

    Semi-Custom Boat Cover

    ReplyDelete